Applications for the Mansfield Fellowship Program 22nd Class is now closed.
The Mansfield Foundation has finished selection for its 22nd class of Mansfield Fellows. Applications for the 23rd class of Mansfield Fellows will open in early summer 2017. Application instructions are available below.
The application has four components:
- Mansfield Fellowship Program Application Form
- Personal Statement
- Placement Plan
- Agency Authorization Form Application Components
The Mansfield Fellowship Program Application Form (1) is an online application document each interested applicant is required to complete. The form includes the following sections:
- Section 1 - General Information
- Section 2 - Professional Experience
- Section 3 - Japan & Foreign-Culture Experiences
- 3a - Lifestyle Adjustment essay (separate piece of paper – one page)
- Section 4 - Personal Statement, Placement Plan & Preferences
- 4a - Personal Statement (separate piece of paper – 300 words or less)
- 4b - Placement Plan (separate piece of paper – 500 words or less)
In addition to the online application form, applicants must secure from their home agencies an Agency Authorization Form. The authorization form is signed by an agency official approving your detail to the Mansfield Foundation if you are selected as a Mansfield Fellow. The Agency Authorization Form is accessible via the online portal and should be submitted with the online application.
Each applicant is also required to receive three letters of recommendation. One recommendation letter must be from the applicant’s current and immediate supervisor. One recommendation letter must be from an additional agency official who is able to comment on the applicant’s placement proposal. Individuals providing reference letters cannot be related to the applicant. When you indicate a recommender on the online system, an email will be automatically generated for that individual.
The Foundation holds regular information sessions providing opportunities for applicants to discuss the program and application process with alumni Fellows and Foundation staff. Information sessions for MFP No. 23 will begin in late spring/early summer 2017.
Please see the Mansfield Fellowship Program FAQ page if you have any questions. Other inquiries should be directed to Hana Rudolph (firstname.lastname@example.org).