Applications for the Mansfield Fellowship Program 24th class is now open.
The Mansfield Foundation has opened applications for the 24th class of Mansfield Fellows. Completed applications are due by 11:59 p.m. EST, October 31, 2018. Application instructions are available below.
The application has five components:
- Mansfield Fellowship Program Application Form
- Personal Statement
- Placement Plan
- Agency Authorization Form
- Letters of Recommendation
The Mansfield Fellowship Program Application Form (1) is an online application document each interested applicant is required to complete. The form includes the following sections:
- Section 1 – General Information
- Section 2 – Professional Experience
- Section 3 – Japan & Foreign-Culture Experiences
- 3a – Lifestyle Adjustment essay (separate document – one page)
- Section 4 – Personal Statement, Placement Plan & Preferences
- 4a – Personal Statement (separate document – 300 words or less)
- 4b – Placement Plan (separate document – 500 words or less)
- Please note that the Selection Committee reviews the Placement Plan with as much careful consideration in the total application package as the Personal Statement and Letters of Recommendations.
Agency Authorization Form
In addition to the online application form, applicants must secure from their home agencies an Agency Authorization Form. The authorization form is signed by an agency official approving your detail to the Mansfield Foundation if you are selected as a Mansfield Fellow. Applicants from the legislative and judicial branches of government are not required to submit an authorization form. The Agency Authorization Form is accessible via the online portal and should be submitted with the online application.
Letters of Recommendation
Each applicant is also required to receive three letters of recommendation. One recommendation letter must be from the applicant’s current and immediate supervisor. One recommendation letter must be from an additional agency official who is able to comment on the applicant’s placement proposal. Individuals providing reference letters cannot be related to the applicant. When you indicate a recommender on the online system, an email will be automatically generated for that individual. If your recommenders are unable to receive the email or submit the letters, they may send it directly to Stephanie Sanders at email@example.com. Their name, title, and agency must be clearly listed.
The Foundation holds regular information sessions providing opportunities for applicants to discuss the program and application process with alumni Fellows and Foundation staff. Information sessions for MFP No. 24 will be held on the following dates at the Mansfield Foundation Washington, D.C. office: July 18, August 14, and September 6 from 12:00-1:15 p.m., as well as September 27 from 5:15 – 6:15 pm. Call-in options are available. Please RSVP to Stephanie Sanders (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please see the Mansfield Fellowship Program FAQ page if you have any questions. Other inquiries should be directed to Stephanie Sanders (email@example.com).