Applications for the 29th class open on July 3, 2023 and close on October 31, 2023. Learn more about how to apply below or access the application portal here.
The application has three main components:
- Mansfield Fellowship Program Application Form
- Agency Authorization Form
- Three Letters of Reference
1. Mansfield Fellowship Program Application Form
Each applicant must complete an online application which includes the following sections:
- Section 1 – General Information
- Section 2 – Professional Experience
- Section 3 – Japan & Foreign-Culture Experiences
- 3a – Lifestyle Adjustment essay (500 words or less) that describes how the applicant reflects flexibility and a willingness to adapt to a foreign culture and living standards, particularly regarding living and working in Japan. See the application for specific questions to answer.
- Section 4 – Personal Statement, Placement Plan
- 4a – Personal Statement (300 words or less) that speaks to the applicant’s motivation for applying and major strengths/qualifications for for Mansfield Fellowship Program.
- 4b – Placement Plan (500 words or less) that clearly explains your proposed placements for ten months in Tokyo, what you specifically hope to accomplish, your home agency’s interest and involvement in U․S․-Japan issues, how you anticipate the home agency may use your expertise upon return, and how participation in the Fellowship will contribute to the home agency’s mission. Although the Mansfield Foundation cannot guarantee placements as specifically requested by Fellows, the Placement Plan should demonstrate an applicant’s understanding of where their skills and expertise can best be utilized in the Japanese government․
2. Agency Authorization Form
Applicants must secure from their home agencies an Agency Authorization Form. The authorization form is signed by an agency official approving your detail to the Mansfield Foundation if you are selected as a Mansfield Fellow.
Applicants from the legislative branch are not required to submit an agency authorization form.
The Agency Authorization Form is available for download through the online application portal and here.
3. Letters of Recommendation
Each applicant is required to submit three letters of recommendation (one page or less on agency letterhead) from individuals who have firsthand knowledge of the applicant’s qualifications and character.
- One recommendation letter must be from the applicant’s current and immediate supervisor.
- One recommendation letter must be from an additional agency official who is able to comment on the applicant’s proposal, including how the applicant’s participation will benefit the agency.
- One recommendation from a person of the applicant’s choice.
Individuals providing reference letters cannot be related to the applicant. When the applicant registers a recommender on this online application portal, an email will be automatically sent to that individual.
Recommenders must submit their reference letter using the online portal before the application deadline for the application to be considered complete.
**Please Note: Due to internal firewalls specific to the Department of Defense and U.S. military, recommenders from these agencies may have difficulty receiving emails generated by the recommender registration process, and may also have difficulty submitting letters of recommendation through the online application system when using DOD- or military-affiliated devices. Applicants from these agencies are advised to request non-DOD-affiliated email addresses from their recommenders to receive the automated recommender email. Applicants should also advice recommenders to submit letters of recommendation from non-DOD/military-affiliated devices (i.e. a personal computer).
Please see important dates and deadlines for the 29th class of Mansfield Fellows.
July 3, 2023 | Application opens
October 31, 2023 | Application closes at 11:59 p.m. EDT
Early-November 2023 | Invitations to candidates selected for interviews
November 7 through 11, 2023 | Virtual language assessments (tentative dates)
November 15 and 16, 2023 | Interviews in Washington, DC (tentative dates)
Late-November 2023 | Candidates notified of selection for the 29th class
July 1, 2024 | Pre-departure training begins
July 1, 2025 | Fellows begin program in Japan
June 30, 2026 | Program ends
The Foundation holds regular information sessions providing opportunities for applicants to discuss the program and application process with alumni Fellows and Foundation staff. The schedule of information sessions can be viewed here.
Additional information sessions may be arranged with specific agencies. If you would like to arrange a session for your agency, please contact MFPinfo@mansfieldfdn.org.
Technical issues with the application portal should be directed to the Embark Applicant and Recommender Support Team at: firstname.lastname@example.org.