Recruitment for the 26th class is now closed. View the application site here.
Timeline for the 26th Class
September 2020 | Mansfield Fellowship Program Class 26 recruitment re-opens
December 1, 2020 | Application Deadline
Early December 2020 | Invitations to candidates selected for interviews
Early to Mid December 2020 | Interviews with selection committee
Mid December 2020 | Candidates notified of selection or non-selection
Summer 2022 | Program participants deploy to Japan (exact start date subject to change)
Summer 2023 | Program ends (exact date will be 1 year after deployment)
The application has five components:
- Mansfield Fellowship Program Online Application Form
- Personal Statement
- Placement Plan
- Agency Authorization Form (form downloadable from online application)
- Letters of Recommendation
The Mansfield Fellowship Program Online Application Form is an online application document each interested applicant is required to complete. The form includes the following sections:
- Section 1 – General Information
- Section 2 – Professional Experience
- Section 3 – Japan & Foreign-Culture Experiences
- 3a – Lifestyle Adjustment essay (separate document – one page)
- Section 4 – Personal Statement, Placement Plan & Preferences
- 4a – Personal Statement (separate document – 300 words or less)
- 4b – Placement Plan (separate document – 500 words or less)
- Please note that the Selection Committee reviews the Placement Plan with as much careful consideration in the total application package as the Personal Statement and Letters of Recommendations.
Agency Authorization Form
In addition to the online application form, applicants must secure from their home agencies an Agency Authorization Form. The authorization form is signed by an agency official approving your detail to the Mansfield Foundation if you are selected as a Mansfield Fellow. The Agency Authorization Form is downloadable from the online application form. Applicants from the legislative and judicial branches of government are not required to submit an authorization form. The Agency Authorization Form is accessible via the online portal and should be submitted with the online application.
Letters of Recommendation
Each applicant is also required to receive three letters of recommendation. One recommendation letter must be from the applicant’s current and immediate supervisor. One recommendation letter must be from an additional agency official who is able to comment on the applicant’s placement proposal. Individuals providing reference letters cannot be related to the applicant. When you indicate a recommender on the online system, an email will be automatically generated for that individual.
**Please Note: Due to internal firewalls specific to the Department of Defense and U.S. military, recommenders from these agencies may have difficulty receiving emails generated by the recommender registration process, and may also have difficulty submitting letters of recommendation through the online application system when using DOD- or military-affiliated devices. Applicants from these agencies are advised to request non-DOD-affiliated email addresses from their recommenders to receive the automated recommender email. Applicants should also advice recommenders to submit letters of recommendation from non-DOD/military-affiliated devices (i.e. a personal computer).
- Complete the online application and the Agency Authorization Form (signed by an agency official) and submit online no later than the December 2020 deadline:
- Signed letters of recommendation must be submitted by your reference to the Mansfield Foundation by the December 2020 deadline. When you indicate a recommender on the online system, an email will be automatically generated for that individual.
The Foundation holds regular information sessions providing opportunities for applicants to discuss the program and application process with alumni Fellows and Foundation staff. Information sessions for MFP No. 26 will be held virtually throughout Fall 2020. The schedule of information sessions can be viewed here. Additional information sessions can be arranged with specific agencies. For more information, please contact Kelly Primrose (firstname.lastname@example.org).