Elements of the Application
The selection committee will review complete application packages only. Each application package must include:
- Mansfield Fellowship Program Online Application including:
- A 300-word personal statement that speaks to the applicant’s motivation for applying, as well as his/her ability and willingness to adapt to working in a Japanese government office.
- A 500-word placement plan that explains clear goals and objectives; placement preferences for the ten months in Japan; interest and involvement of the applicant’s agency in U.S.-Japan issues; how the applicant anticipates that the agency may use the Fellow’s expertise upon return; and how participation in the Fellowship will contribute to the agency’s mission.
- Authorization for participation from the applicant’s agency (Authorization form downloadable from the online application)
- Three confidential recommendations (one page each) from individuals who have firsthand knowledge of the applicant’s qualifications and character. One recommendation must come from a current and immediate supervisor and one must come from an agency official (both letters on agency letterhead) who can comment on the merits of the applicant’s proposal, including how the applicant’s participation will benefit the agency.
**Please Note: Due to internal firewalls specific to the Department of Defense and U.S. military, recommenders from these agencies may have difficulty receiving emails generated by the recommender registration process, and may also have difficulty submitting letters of recommendation through the online application system when using DOD- or military-affiliated devices. Applicants from these agencies are advised to request non-DOD-affiliated email addresses from their recommenders to receive the automated recommender email. Applicants should also advice recommenders to submit letters of recommendation from non-DOD/military-affiliated devices (i.e. a personal computer).
Please note that the dates below are subject to change.
September 2020 | Mansfield Fellowship Program Class 26 recruitment reopens
December 1, 2020 | Application deadline at 11:59 p.m. EST
Early-December 2020 | Invitations to candidates selected for interviews
Early- to Mid-December 2020 | Interviews with the selection committee
Mid-December 2020 | Candidates notified of selection or non-selection
Spring 2022 | Orientation and placement negotiations with Japanese government representatives
July 1, 2022 | Program begins
June 30, 2023 | Program ends