Elements of the Application
The selection committee will review only complete application packages. Each package must include:
- Mansfield Fellowship Program Online Application including:
- A 300-word personal statement that speaks to the applicant’s motivation for applying, as well as his/her ability and willingness to adapt to working in a Japanese government office.
- A 500-word placement plan that explains clear goals and objectives; placement preferences for the ten months in Japan; interest and involvement of the applicant’s agency in U.S.-Japan issues; how the applicant anticipates that the agency may use the Fellow’s expertise upon return; and how participation in the Fellowship will contribute to the agency’s mission.
- Authorization for participation from the applicant’s agency
- Three confidential recommendations (one page each) from individuals who have firsthand knowledge of the applicant’s qualifications and character. One recommendation must come from a current and immediate supervisor and one must come from an agency official (both letters on agency letterhead) who can comment on the merits of the applicant’s proposal, including how the applicant’s participation will benefit the agency.
**Please Note: Due to internal firewalls specific to the Department of Defense and U.S. military, recommenders from these agencies may have difficulty receiving emails generated by the recommender registration process, and may also have difficulty submitting letters of recommendation through the online application system when using DOD- or military-affiliated devices. Applicants from these agencies are advised to request non-DOD-affiliated email addresses from their recommenders to receive the automated recommender email. Applicants should also advice recommenders to submit letters of recommendation from non-DOD/military-affiliated devices (i.e. a personal computer).
June 1, 2019 | Mansfield Fellowship Program Class 25 recruitment begins
October 28, 2019 | Application Deadline
Early November, 2019 | Invitations to candidates selected for interviews
November 14-15, 2019 | In-person interviews in the Washington, D.C. office (attendance mandatory)
November 18-20, 2019 | Candidates notified of selection or non-selection
February 24-28, 2020 | Orientation and placement negotiations with Japanese government representatives (attendance mandatory; dates subject to change)
July 1, 2020 | Program begins
June 30, 2021 | Program ends