Elements of the Application
The selection committee will review complete application packages only.
All applications must be submitted through the Mansfield Fellowship online application portal.
Each application package must include:
- A Mansfield Fellowship Program Application Form including:
- A 500-word lifestyle adjustment essay. Specific questions to be answered in this essay are available on the online application form.
- A 300-word personal statement that speaks to the applicant’s motivation for applying, as well as his/her ability and willingness to adapt to working in a Japanese government office.
- A 500-word placement plan that clearly explains your proposed placements for ten months in Tokyo, what you specifically hope to accomplish, your home agency’s interest and involvement in U․S․-Japan issues, how you anticipate the home agency may use your expertise upon return, and how participation in the Fellowship will contribute to the home agency’s mission. Although the Mansfield Foundation cannot guarantee placements as specifically requested by Fellows, the Placement Plan should demonstrate an applicant’s understanding of where their skills and expertise can best be utilized in the Japanese government․
- Agency Authorization Form * authorizing the applicant’s participation in the fellowship
- * Update 7/1/21: The Agency Authorization Form is currently undergoing revisions and is unavailable at this time. Applicants will be notified when the form is available for completion.
- A downloadable authorization form will be available on the online application form.
- Three Letters of Reference from individuals who have firsthand knowledge of the applicant’s qualifications and character (one page each on agency letterhead)
- One recommendation must come from a current and immediate supervisor
- One must come from an agency official who can comment on the merits of the applicant’s proposal, including how the applicant’s participation will benefit the agency.
- One recommendation from a person of the applicant’s choice.
**Please Note: Due to internal firewalls specific to the Department of Defense and U.S. military, recommenders from these agencies may have difficulty receiving emails generated by the recommender registration process, and may also have difficulty submitting letters of recommendation through the online application system when using DOD- or military-affiliated devices. Applicants from these agencies are advised to request non-DOD-affiliated email addresses from their recommenders to receive the automated recommender email. Applicants should also advice recommenders to submit letters of recommendation from non-DOD/military-affiliated devices (i.e. a personal computer).