Compensation and Benefits
Detailees (Agency-funded): Fellows who are Detailees receive salary and benefits including health care coverage through their home agency during the program. Detailees are not required to separate from federal service during the Fellowship. Fellows who do not separate from federal service may have their time in the Fellowship program counted toward retirement in federal service. Detailees receive allowances through the Mansfield Foundation.
Uniformed members of the military participate in the Fellowship as Detailees and receive salary, benefits, and allowances through their home agency.
Non-Detailees (Program-funded): Fellows from the legislative and judicial branches participate as Non-Detailees. Non-Detailees separate from federal service during the Fellowship and receive their salary and benefits from the Mansfield Foundation. Non-detailees receive allowances through the Mansfield Foundation.
Allowances of the Mansfield Fellowships are subject to the level of annual Congressional appropriations. U.S. agencies may choose to contribute to the Fellows’ allowances.
Each Fellow receives the following allowances:
- A generous housing and cost of living allowance
- A dependent allowance for his or her immediate family members (spouse/children only) who live in Japan for at least six months
- An education allowance to help parents provide children with educational services (K-12) ordinarily provided without charge by U.S. public schools
- A moving stipend to offset the cost of shipping personal items to Japan
- A professional travel allowance for placement-related business trips within Japan
- Round-trip, economy-class airline transportation on an American carrier for each Fellow and his/her dependents